Prevent Damage to Your Seasonal/Secondary Home
Avoid damage to your seasonal/secondary home by taking these easy and inexpensive precautions
- Shut off main water supply valve when you leave, to minimize possible water damage.
- Set thermostats to a minimum of 55 degrees when you are away. Heat may not get to your home’s extremities – open cupboards and doors where pipes are isolated.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to check your house periodically while you are away. Delay in recognizing and stopping water damage can substantially increase the severity of the loss.
- Having regular heating system maintenance and automatic fuel deliveries can save on fuel bills and reduce the risk of losing heat when you need it most.
- The installation of a low temperature monitor can notify you that the temperature in your secondary/seasonal home has fallen below a safe level.
- The installation of a fire & burglar alarm monitored by a central station will notify the appropriate entities in your absence.
- If you close your property for winter, drain the water pipes.
If You Do Have a Loss, Report It Promptly to Your Agent.